- Developing and implementing an appropriate ICT policy for the public sector.
- Advising the government on matters related to ICT.
- Networking and spearheading the equipping of the entire public sector with appropriate ICT facilities.
- Providing the necessary ICT interface between the public sector and stakeholders.
- Offering technical advice on the procurement of ICT equipment.
- Updating ICT in government so as to keep pace with technology developments.
- Ensuring optimal operation/use of ICT through training and other capacity building interventions.
The department's mandate rest's on the ICT functions which entails ensuring and maintaining ICT standards within Government organizations.
It further involves facilitating rapid national economic growth and development through appropriate application of Information Communication Technology for sustainable performance improvement, increase productivity/communications and provision of quality public services
- Productivity: To enhance productivity and reduce costs by improving the accuracy, timelines and speed with which the government functions can be met.
- Information Availability: To increase and improve information and data availability, thereby assisting the Government in decision making and in providing services to the public.
- Environmental Responsiveness: To ensure, from an Information System perspective, the Government is responsive to an environment that is constantly changing as a result of changes in areas of laws, regulations, interpretations, and funding.
- Infrastructure: To augment and improve the infrastructure of the Government's Information Systems, including technical architecture (Connectivity, Hardware, Software), the organizations structure, human resource capabilities (Training)
- New Technology: To evaluate new technology to determine if it will provide benefits to the Government in achieving its business objectives.
- Customer Focus: Invoking Non Information Technology Personnel to meet the Information needs of the Society/Organization